Magmi is a powerful mass importer for Magento that can save you a considerable amount of time in importing thousands of products into Magento, which normally take hours if you use the built-in import function in Magento.
However, Magmi is not very easy to install and use without some guidance. Hopefully, this guide will help anyone looking to use the tool!
Magmi can be tricky to setup manually, but you can get a third party installation package with custom built installer script to make the installation process easier for you (We recommend getting the free installer from Understandinge). Once you get the installation package, you will need an FTP account and an FTP client. The following installation guide is done using FileZilla and the installation package from Understandinge.
1. The first thing that you should do is open the FileZilla and choose your site on the top left corner.
2. The next step is to move the Magmi installer from your desktop to your website directory. Open the Magmi installer folder in your FTP client, drag and drop the 2 folders inside your Magmi installer to the root directory of your website (see the image below. Make sure you put the files in your root directory and not inside any folder.
Figure 1.1 Drag and drop the two files across as indicated by the red arrow.
3. Once the files are uploaded, open your web browser and go to this address: http://yourdomainname.com/magmi-importer/web/installation/. For example, if your website directory is http://abc.com then you will type http://abc.com/magmi-importer/web/installation. You should then see the following page:
Figure 1.2 Magmi Installation Screen
Read the license agreement, tick “I agree to the licenses” box and click continue. You should see some warning messages in red but this is where the third party installer becomes really useful!
Figure 1.3 Warning messages for Magmi Installation
Now, go back to your FTP client and open the folder Magmi installer in your web directory. You need to right click the conf folder inside the Magmi installer folder and choose file permissions. Change the numeric value to 777 and tick “recurse into subdirectories” box. Repeat this step for plugins folder and web folder, but this time, don’t tick “recurse into subdirectories” option. Afterwards, go inside the web folder and find a file called “login.php”. Right click on that file and change the numeric value to 777. Once you have done all of these, go back to your browser and hit the refresh button. You should now see all the error messages removed. You can now click the continue button on the bottom right corner.
Figure 1.4 All error messages are now fixed
4. You will see now see a screen with your database detail confirmation and also your login details (this is an extra feature from this custom installation script which adds a security layer to your Magmi). Create your login name and password and keep it safe. Don’t lose this information as it will be complicated to change it later. Finally, click install at the bottom right corner.
Figure 1.5 Database and Login details screen
5. That’s it folks! By now you should have Magmi installed. You can click the login button and you should come across a login page where you can enter the information that you created in step 4.
Importing using Magmi
Now that you have Magmi installed, you will probably want to use one of its most popular functions, importing mass products into Magento.
The following steps should help with your first Magmi import. What you need is Microsoft Excel or any spreadsheet software, which can create and open .csv and .xls file. If you use the installer provided by Understandinge, you should be able to find a sample spreadsheet file inside /var/import called “DO_NOT_IMPORT_excel_coloured_example.xls”. The following steps will show you an example of product import using Magmi. There’s only one product in this example but you can have whatever number of products you want.
1. You can create a new spreadsheet with at least the “sku” attribute present. To see the how the attribute naming convention works in Magmi, you can open the sample file provided above. You should see the following:
Figure 2.1 A spreadsheet file with Magento attribute naming convention in Magmi
The top row represents attributes in Magento. Red represents the attributes that you must have when importing any product into Magento. Green attributes are recommended to be present when you import products into Magento. You should familiarise yourself with how the attributes and the values are presented in order to ensure a successful import process.
2. Once you get your spreadsheet ready, you need to save it as “text .csv” file on your computer.
3. Open FileZilla and connect to your server. You want to find the /var folder in your web root directory and find the import folder inside to put your spreadsheet file into. Drag and drop the .csv file from your PC to this folder in FileZilla.
Figure 2.2 Drag and drop your .csv file to your web directory
4. Open your web browser and login to Magmi. When logged in, go to the configuration page. You should see under the import tab at the bottom of the page an option called “Back to configuration page”. On your configuration page in the data sources section, you should see “file to import” with dropdown option next to it. You should be able to select the .csv file that you uploaded via FileZilla before. If it does not show up there, then you just need to refresh your browser until it shows up.
5. Now, at the top of this page, change the mode to “create items only skip existing one” (the 3rd option) because we want to import a currently non existing product in Magento. Click run import to start importing your product.
6. Congratulations! You have just imported a product into Magento using Magmi. You should be able to see your product in Magento now.
Using Magmi requires you to spend some time understanding how to structure your .csv file. However, when you get it right, it will save you a huge amount of time. Magmi is arguably the best mass importer for Magento available at the moment and you should take full advantage of it.