Running a single eCommerce store is often quite a difficult and demanding task. Developing and managing several eCommerce stores, in different languages, currencies, all with different shipping setups, requires a lot of time, effort, and money.
This is where the power of the Magento platform comes in, giving you a solution that offers a built-in feature for multiple store management, to support your business processes and to meet all the dynamic needs of eCommerce environments.
Allowing you to control everything from a single admin panel. To see why this functionality makes Magento superior to other platforms, keep reading.
Why Magento Multi-store?
The Magento 2 multi-store feature is designed for merchants that either sell to multiple countries or for those that have more than one brand to manage.
To achieve this there is no need for multi-website instances, Magento allows you to create, configure as many different web stores and/or store views as required by your company or brands with one platform installation.
Features of Magento Multi-site
Magento relies on GWS – Global Website Store. This term helps explain the ability to manage Magento 2 multiple stores and websites through one platform.
Below explains more about all the hierarchical levels:
- Global – refers to the whole installation of Magento.
- Magento Multi-site (website) – the domain used for your website. Bear in mind that each domain can manage multiple Magento 2 store but you can also have multiple domains on one installation.
- Magento Multi-stores (stores) – the actual product catalogues created on a single domain that you can also define as Magento multi-website single domain store.
- Magento Store views (store views) – these views represent the multiple presentations of your front-end data which would give your eCommerce multiple storefronts. This feature is used when you need stores in multiple languages.
A Magento website usually comes with a unique feature for customer management and separate customer-based processes. The Magento multisite functionality to manage Magento 2 multiple stores allows a user to select any payment mode for shipping, and it works for all major currencies.
This functionality allows you to work on different websites easily with all regular aspects included.
For instance, if you have a clothing store with a wide variety of products, you obviously need to have two separate stores for men and women. However, keeping separate websites is not enough, you also have to keep working on front-end components and show the items used in the stores.
So, the key advantage, in this case, is that you can sell multiple categories related to different goods under a single web domain and the store will look like a real shop with all products offered from a single domain.
Magento Store View
Each Magento store has at least one store view by default. This store view may be used to store content along with all the necessary information regarding certain products or services.
This is quite helpful for displaying stores in multiple languages. You can also place your focus on adjusting the text and other design elements isolated from the functionality through the store view.
Finally, there is no need to add separate shipping methods since you can add a method just by adding the specific structured category to it.
Benefits of Magento Multi-store
The Magento 2 multi-store feature is all about making your eCommerce business management easier. Here are the major reasons why you need to strongly consider using it:
- Exploration of your websites will be easy for customers. On top of that, you can also create a clean, uncluttered website that will surely benefit customer experience.
- You will never have to worry about difficult website management again. A single central panel will allow you to change the theme and restrict extensions. Of course, each store can have its individual identity.
- Simply put, you will have no problem managing customer accounts. And, you can provide different payment and shipment methods for different regions.
- Scaling is easy, just like adding new catalogues and categories.
What to consider before installing Magento multi-store?
It is safe to say that creating multiple stores in Magento is not difficult. You only need to follow the instructions and you can create as many stores as you want to.
On top of that, there are no technical or code issues, but some eCommerce and SEO-related problems are reported by some merchants.
1. SSL Certificate Limit
One SSL certificate can only serve one IP address and one domain. But, you can add SSL to multiple domains.
- With Wildcard SSL, you will get protection to all the subdomains you create.
- Subject Alternative Name (SAN) Certification provides a solution for stores created on different domains.
- Cloudways Solution allows store owners to install as many SSL-protected eCommerce websites as they wish.
2. The IP address and SEO issues
It is still widely believed that a shared IP address affects the website’s SEO.
But in reality, it doesn’t affect it at all. There are cases where many famous businesses have multiple websites on their IP address. For instance, ESPN.com has 999 websites sharing one IP address.
However, there is a problem with Magento multi-store where the content can become duplicated. To solve this issue, just make sure that the content is unique (especially for page description).
3. Multi-store extension problems
You can have different plugins for different stores with Magento multi-store. In other words, an extension can be active for one store but will remain idle for the second.
Everything stays in one piece until you update your Magento software. This problem happens even if you are not using the multi-store feature.
However, the multi-store feature will just add an extra layer of complexity to it.
How to set up Magento 2 multiple store?
It would be wise to look into a few things while setting up a multi-store feature.
- Buy a multi-domain SSL certificate and make sure that a new domain has an SSL certificate.
- Ensure you have multi-site hosting so you don’t have to worry about server issues.
- Log into Magento and do a back-up.
- Configure your Magento multi-store using the admin panel.
- Remember to point your new domain name to your server.
- When you finish all the previous steps, add some products and test them to check if they fit your needs.
Benefit from the power of multi-store
There is no doubt that Magento’s multi-store feature is an obvious necessity for many eCommerce merchants.
If you want help and support making the most of Magento or want to migrate your website contact us today.